If last year was the year of teeth, this is the year that I am OVER them.
I am still, yes, still in braces. Every month I go to get them tightened and every month (for the past few visits), the orthodontist and assistants say something very vague when I ask how much longer.
Today, I had one of those visits.
I was not prepared for what happened.
First off, about an hour before the visit, I was playing with Nate and he slammed his head into my mouth. Headbutt + braces= bloody lip. Fat bloody lip.
This created lots of talk at the office. Similar to when you take your child to the emergency room for an "out of the ordinary" accident. Lots of questions. Lots of looks. And you know they are wondering what type of home I come from. I explained the whole 1 1/2 year old head butt, but the questions continued.
Once they were adequately satisfied with my response, the torture continued.
Tighter wires are always on the menu.
But then, I felt the hygienist attaching some type of wire to the back of my mouth. I asked her what it was for.
"Rubber bands" she says. "And I am sorry but they are really hard to get in so I will probably poke your gums and your lip is going to hurt worse."
Great.
After that, she takes out one of the rubber bands and applies it to the right side.
"Now" she says "I want you to do the other one so I can make sure you can do it."
Great again.
I take the ridiculous band stretcher and put the band on the back part of my mouth then stretch it around to the front. She holds a mirror.
"Thats right!" she says "Great work"
I can open my mouth less than 1/4 of an inch. "Fanks" it sounds like I say.
I can not believe I am 36 years old. With braces. And rubber bands. And a big fat bloody lip.
I'm sure this will be over "pretty soon". Right?
No lie: I'm at the dentist on Tuesday and they say something again about how my teeth have shifted on the bottom and no, I'm sorry I didn't wear my retainers in college! Can you imagine that hook up? Hold on while I slip into something more comfortable... and my retainers? I don't think so. So anyway, I mention that I've looked into invisaline, but it's so expensive. And long story short- that may not work, and I may have to have braces AGAIN on the bottom.
ReplyDelete