Saturday, January 29, 2011

Casa De Tannenbaum

This past weekend, I went with Dana to visit our cousin, Karen, in California.  Her family- husband Mike and daughter Leah (5)- recently purchased a home in the hills of Oakland. 

We left on Friday morning.  If you happen to be in Massachusetts, you may remember that Friday was the third blizzard of the season.  Our flight was at 9:15am.  I left Northboro at 5am, dropped by to pick Dana up in Wellesley, then straight to the airport.  Our flight was unbelievably boarded on time...but we waited on the tarmac for 3 hours.

It was a LONG flight.  I caught up on a years worth of tv though.  Ask me anything you would like to know about Teen Mom, Selling New York or Say Yes to the Dress.  Pretty sure I've seen every episode after that flight.

Kingsbury Cousins
The longggg snowy drive in and the longgg flight to San Fransisco were a distant memory once we landed.  We shed a few layers then hopped on the Bart to meet Karen and some co-workers near the water.  We enjoyed a drink and some apps and finally got to know the people that Karen so often talked about.  All good, of course.

Mike and Leah met us at the train and brought us home.  We had pizza and a dance party.  Yes, I brought Just Dance 2 to the West Coast.  Big hit. 

Saturday, I got to see Leahs gymnastics class then we headed to a outdoor bar in San Fran.  Known for amazing bloody marys, Zeitgiest did not disappoint.  Cousin Russ met up with us there and was gracious enough to drive us all home.


Still not as amazing as Jays...but pretty good!
My favorite part of the night...heading to bed at 8pm.  I was nervous that Dana and Karen would give me a hard time about the suggestion.  But I was happily surprised to hear that Dana was also going to bed.  Ahhh, times have changed from our Emerson College days.

Our hosts
Speaking of Emerson, on Sunday we hit Santa Rosa to visit Matt and Katie- friends of Dana's from Emerson.  Matt and Katie arranged a wonderful tour of the area.  Complete with picnic lunch, wine tastings, a biker bar and the grand finale...a private tasting at Medlock Ames.  It was the PERFECT day.

Medlock Ames

The Biker Bar

Elvis?
Monday was our last day.  We hit Berkeley to get tshirts for the folks at home.  Well, to be honest, Dana got something for Elliott.  I had cheaped out the day before we left Massachusetts and bought souvenirs in advance at a toy store that was going out of business.  I guess I am that Mom now.  I couldn't bare the thought of looking for gifts, carrying them back and spending who knows how much.  I'm cheap, weak and a little crazy.  Don't even start with the jokes.


Jay did get a Berkley shirt for the record.  I wasn't cheap enough to buy him something from the going out of business toy store (they didn't have anything I could possibly get away with).

Mike also took us to the Berkley Marina.  It was surreal to sit at the ocean without 10ft mounds of snow.  I even saw some flowers.  It inspired me to hold out hope for spring.

The flight home was uneventful although it was delayed.  At 2am arrival at home made for an interesting morning with the kids...but I wouldn't change that.  I was so happy to get home to Jay, Jack, Remy and Nate!

1 comment: