Tuesday, September 28, 2010

No Added Sugar...please!

At the acupuncturist the other day, Jack was talking about his soccer game. 
Dr. R said "Jack, did you feel like you had more energy at your soccer game this weekend?"
 "Yes" Jack said.  "My coach brought us candy."

This was the first I had heard of this.  I wanted to say...why would he bring candy???  What is wrong with people?  But lets not forget that the acupuncturists office is quiet and serene.  Everyone talks low and looks at each other in the sweetest of ways.  In other words- I didnt want to look crazy.

When I was growing up and my brothers played soccer, the parents brought orange slices for half time and water to drink.  These days they still have orange slices, usually gatorade to drink and then popsicles for after the game.

When Jack got his coach assignment this year, no email went out about pop duty.  Only orange duty.  I had assumed that finally this team was going to do orange duty only. 

Well I was right about the popsicles.  But obviously wrong about the reasoning.  Rather than removing the sugar aspect...they chose to add candy to the mix.  Full bags of candy, not just a piece.  Great game kids...good running around....way to stay fit...how about some candy???

I'm not that mom who embarrasses Jack by sending sprouts in his backpack...but he does take hummus wraps and loves them.  I know that birthday parties will have cake and ice cream (and capri suns) but there is a time and place right?  Halloween...cant stop that from happening.  But I do "remove" lots of the candy the next day. 

I am aware that not everyone is on my latest health food for kids kick but soccer game candy seems questionable nonetheless.

And speaking of health food kicks...which yes, is ironic...soccer...kicks...get it? 

Anyway, my newest obsession...food blogs!  I heart food blogs.  I am amazed by the people who write them and also dream up something new to make each day to add to the blog.  Thanks to my sister in law, Molly, for the introduction.....as always, she knows the best of the best!

Go here to search for your favorite food blogs....
http://www.foodbuzz.com/top9

1 comment: