Monday, September 13, 2010

The Kissing Hand and Other Torture Devices- Chapter Five

No first week of school...especially with a kindergartner...is complete without the sweet yet torturous devices that the teachers come up with.

For instance, this year at orientation, Remy's teacher gave each child the book "The Kissing Hand" to take home.  We were instructed to read it before school started the next day. 

Before bed, anxious as can be, I snuggled in to Remys bed to read the book with her.  TORTURE.  It is the sweetest, most heartbreaking book I have read in a long time.  Reading it was only made worse by the fact that Remy actually kissed my hand (makes sense if you read it).  I was fully crying in bed with her.  Jay, who was also in the room, volunteered to take over.  Remy said "Mommys only pretending to cry Daddy."  Right, thats it honey.  Just pretending to have a breakdown.  Everything is just fine.  You will love kindergarten.  Mommy wont miss you at all. 

I made it through that.  I already told you how the bus leaving spurred crying.  No added device needed there.

Right after school, Remy comes bounding off the bus.  She made something for me she says.  Another torture device.  I know it.  Here it is:

Perhaps you saw me wink or smile
As you entered the room today.
I know how hard it was to leave
And simply walk away.

You've held that little hand so long
And been a loving guide.
It's time to take a big step now
And leave your precious one by my side.

Just know that as you drive away
And tears begin to flow,
I'll love your child as I would my own
And help your little one grow.

I put your loved one's picture here
For you to cherish every day.
Please know your child's safe and loved
As we work, and learn, and play.

Day two.  Another school project she tells me.  This has the sounds of torture device written all over it.  Here it is:

A piece of me I give to you,
This special heart because
"I love you."
The heart is you, the hand is me,
It shows that we are
A Family.

(For the record, yes, I am the small "girl" in green next to Remy in pink.  And yes, Jack is the largest person in our family...interesting.)

I AM SURE THERE ARE MORE TO COME.  Its hard enough to have her gone all day.  To be reminded at every turn?  Even more difficult.

But the truth is...all these things are pretty sweet right?  Just prepare yourself.  Go in battle ready.  Having your child go off to school is tough.  Having these cute little keepsakes...wonderful.

THE END.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy. I am definitely not cut out for that. I am crying already just thinking of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her school is just so cute! What great keepsakes too. Though I can fully see them being used as torture devices at the time. I am glad she had a good day and you survived it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM CRYING HERE!!! Your kindergarten teacher really knows how to turn it on. Leah's teacher read "The Kissing Hand" but didn't read it to us.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete