Sunday, September 12, 2010

And She's Off- Chapter Four


September 2nd.  The day that I also dreaded all summer.  Remy's first actual day of all day school. 

She was excited as can be.  She was so thrilled to have the day to have her picture taken, wear her backpack, and head on the previously scary bus.

The first few days (or even weeks) of school, the bus arrives late.  So we stood outside for probably a full half hour.  The whole time, Remy was happy. 

Although we waited forever for the bus, the time from when it pulled up, Remy (and Jack) boarded the bus, and it took off down the road, seemed like seconds.  I snapped pictures like a mad woman.  I waved like a mad woman.  I marveled at how happy and confident Remy seemed.

Then the bus pulled away.  Nate was napping so it was just Jay and I.  We walked inside...I broke down.  MY BABY WAS GOING TO BE GONE ALL DAY.

The thing is I LOVE TO HANG OUT WITH REMY.  I love going to the grocery store with her and having her help me remember what I need, and where it is located.  I love going to the Dunkin Donuts drivethru and laughing together about the employee who definitely drinks way too much coffee everyday and talks a mile a minute.  I love how she interacts with Nate and teaches him cute things like how to kiss and hug.  I love snuggling with her on the couch, talking about what he will have for lunch, and taking walks together.  I love just having her home.  And I know I will miss her immensely.


But of course, there is school.  And school must be done.  Unless I was a homeschooler...which seems totally unattainable to me at this point. 

Luckily for me, I have many friends who feel the exact same way.  For some, it was their oldest,  their second, or their "last" heading off to school that day for the first time. 

Whats the best way to get through something like that?  The Bloody Mary of course.  Mimosas for back up.  Good friends.  Tissues.  And lots of food.....Nate and I headed over to Marci's house where she threw a small get together.  There were a few tears and lots of good talks.  Nate got to play with all the siblings who are not yet in school.

For lunch, we came back home to have lunch with Daddy who was working from home that day.  After that, we just waited and waited for the bus to arrive home. 

Once off the bus, Remy told us all about her day and how much she loved it.  Jack and Remy talked all about all the cool things about school and took off to play together.  From there, it seemed like any other perfect summer day....

No comments:

Post a Comment