Monday, September 6, 2010

September 1st- Chapter Three

Getting ready for the bus stop.
The day finally came...September 1st.

September 1st was the day that I dreaded most of the summer.  The day Jack would start school.  The day Remy had orientation.

This year for the first time, I let Jack have full rein on his first day of school outfit.  I let him pick more than just the shirt.  I didn't offer him a few things to choose from.  I didn't mandate "a shirt with a collar" as he likes to call them.


He did very well.  He chose the "What Up Dog" shirt he had been laughing about for weeks.  He thinks it is the funniest thing ever.  Neutral shorts and his new sneaks. 

He was excited to go and see all his old friends at recess.  He was glad that he is now the oldest grade in the lower wing. 

Note: This is kind of like being in 8th grade.  Not as cool as when you get to be a senior and rule the school, but still the oldest grade in your wing/school.  (That is if your school goes 6-8 which I realize doesn't always happen.).

He and his friends can now claim the upper soccer fields.  That's supposedly VERY big. 

We took a few pictures and he got on the bus same as usual.  Although the boy that waved everyday for the past two years, gave just a slight smile and low wave.  Sigh.  Second grade.  Eight years old.  Getting taller by the second.  Sigh Sigh Sigh.

After we got Jack on the bus, Jay headed to work.  Grammi came over to watch Nate.  Remy and I went to her orientation.  She specifically asked that I document none of it with my camera so that I would have lots of time to just "be with her".  Request granted.

Remy, as usual, took everything in.  She loved her teacher and kept repeating "My teacher is SOOOOO nice."  She loved that her teacher wore a purple dress...a favorite with Remy and accessorized so nicely.  She loved the scavenger hunt that we had to complete.

We also took a tour of the school and ran into Jack at music class.  He and Remy gave each other a big wave and smile.  That was the highlight of my day.

Also on the list for orientation....a bus ride.  You remember from the Back-To-School shopping post how she cried about the bus???  She lived in fear of the bus for weeks?  Even months?  Turns out it was her favorite part!

While Remy was on her bus ride, I ran into Jack's teacher in the hall.  I introduced myself.  She explained that she had put "John" (Jack is actually John on his birth certificate- don't get me started) on Jacks desk and all of his classroom spots.  She apologized.  I asked her if he said anything.  He had.  That made me laugh. She assured him that she would change everything over in the next few days.

After orientation, we had a special girls lunch with a few of Remys friends who are also heading to kindergarten.  Most are going to different schools, so it was nice to see them and hear about what they thought of orientation.

Before we knew it, it was time to get Jack off the bus.  The stop is right in front of our house so we all waited to see him.  I baked cookies for him so we went inside to eat a snack after his long day.

Jack confirmed that yes, it was really cool to be able to play soccer on the upper field.  Yes, he was glad to see all his friends.  But man, second grade seemed like it was going to be really hard.

1 comment:

  1. I mean... this post is so stinking CUTE!!! I can't believe how big they are!!! :( LOVE that Jack and Remy gave big waves, and I love that Remy liked that her teacher wore purple and accessorized nicely. :) TOO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete