In this case, what I like about Jay. There are so many things: he is a great dad and husband, has a wonderful sense of humor, is a good cook....the list goes on. But every now and then I think of some obscure reason that I love Jay. So assuming there are at least 10 "big" reasons that I love him, I'll start with number 11....
11. Monday night can be Chipolte night.
Its not always Chipolte night but there are definitely more than a few Mondays when I call Jay and ask him to pick up dinner on the way home.
Mondays are one of the few days I work at the preschool. If I don't get to the grocery store on Sunday, that means that after work (which is only 1:30pm) I would have to run to the store. Nate naps in the afternoon then Jack gets off the bus at 3:30. So most times, I do not feel like running to the store for dinner with all three children or keeping Nate from his nap. Jay never gives me a hard time when he receives that call at 5:30 on his way home. He always stops at Chipolte and always orders me the perfect "braces friendly" meal. Pre-braces, Chips and Guacamole would be on the menu. The first time he stopped post-braces he didn't get that, just so I wouldn't have to watch him eat them.
When I open the door for him and see him standing with the bag and a smile- I think to myself- he really is great. Doesn't give me a hard time, doesn't expect me to be super wife, thinks about my feelings and take out night doesn't have to be Friday night. Love him.
12. He buys those coupons to restaurants that we can all go to as a family.
Its starting to sounds like most of my loves revolve around food- which may be the case- but more importantly, I like picturing Jay at work, reading his Fidelity Perks email. He must check to see what deals are out there then signs up for the kid-friendly ones.
Even better is when he tells Jack and Remy the exciting news. Tonight we are going to a local restaurant with one of these coupons. Jay and Jack researched the menu and Remy is napping- something she never does anymore- so she can be ready for the big night. Love it.
13. His love for the History Channel/AE.
I don't really love this when I would prefer to watch something else but I get a kick out of watching him so entranced by the tv. Last night he "suggested" (stole the remote) we watch "Locked Up Abroad". This is a reenactment show about someone who got locked up abroad and how they got out.
Jay watches this so seriously. The whole show gives me anxiety. Last nights episode was about a man who went to the Philippines to be a missionary for two weeks. The church turned out to be under construction so he went with someone he met on a plane to do another mission. He got kidnapped from a taxi with the taxi driver and a friend. It was a horrible story about him trying to escape (he did) and all the brutality he endured.
Jay watched this and commented so seriously. "Remind me never to go there" he would say. And "The people they get for the reenactments look just like the actual people". He loves it.
It has always fascinated me that a person so young- he liked this stuff even in college- would like this stuff. Granted, we are working towards "middle age" but he has always had an old type of soul. Love.
14. He always makes the "weekend news" with Jack.
Each Monday, Jacks teacher has him complete "weekend news". His assignment is to draw a picture and write about what he did the past weekend. I dont know exactly how many weeks of school we are at now but every week Jay makes the news. Love that Jack has someone he looks up to so much.
So there are my random four things for today I love about Jay. There are all the big reasons, but so many little things too. I use to think the saying "Its the little things that count." meant the little gestures- like flowers or chocolates- and of course I love those...but I also love the little things about someone that makes them who they are.
Pictured: The "weekend news" for this past week.
Jason also hearts the History Channel and watches it as intently, while I snore on the sidelines. BORRRRR-ING! Is it time to watch HGTV now? :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE Jack's cute Weekend News. "I played catch with my Dad. It was so fun!" (I DIE!)
For the record, Jay is a great guy and one of my best friends. But, also for the record, I made the Weekend News at least once if not twice in the last year (one might have been for sleeping on the Party of Five couch in the basement)
ReplyDelete