Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patricks Day

re


I mentioned in the Best/Worst Post that Jack and Remy have taken to trying to catch leprechauns. This started as a tradition last year. Jack heard that if you catch a leprechaun, you can ask him where his pot of gold is hidden. His idea was to walk around the house with a plastic cup and try to catch them.
He told Remy his idea and she was sold...she was in charge of the cups. I have nooooo idea why but the first plastic cups she could find where the "keg" or party cups in Mustys. For days last year, they walked around the house trying to catch leprechauns. They would slam their cups down and then run to the next spot. Remy would sometimes claim that she caught one- but Jack would always tell her that wasnt the way the game was played??? Bless her patience, because she kept up slamming that cup down- to no avail (obviously).
I felt so bad that they had worked so hard that I went out and bought golden chocolate coins. I left a sweet little "leprechaun note" applauding them for the hard work they put in and wishing them better luck next year.
THEY LOVED THIS.
This year there was much more planning...on their part. They left cookie traps, red plastic party cups throughout the house and a note. They also went with the tried and true, running around the house trying to catch the little guys. I wanted so badly to catch this all on video for all to see, but I didnt want to intrude on their game.
With all the planning they did- I did none. I forgot to get the coins. Last night after an 1 and 1/2 hours of Boy Scouts with all three kids, I realized I didnt have the coins. I couldnt stop with them, so after putting them to bed Jay suggested we leave them a note and dollar bills. I guess his thinking was that its good enough for the tooth fairy. I was skeptical but it did seem better than running to the store so late. I left a note, some lucky charms and rolled bills near the fireplace (where one of the traps had been set).
Jack and Remy were thrilled when they woke up to find the cookies gone. The dollar bills were a big disappointment. Remy stated that she would use her money to buy chocolate coins and that the bills just didnt make sense. Jack was perplexed too.
Next year they have decided that they will have better luck trying the traps outside. I am sure our neighbors will love the scattered cups on the lawn. I have decided to stock up on more party cups (never a problem) and those pesky coins. Once you start a tradition.....
Happy St. Patricks Day everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love thier little imaginations! This is so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete