Sunday, March 21, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I go????




STAY:
On Saturday evening, we celebrated our friends Bill and Lesli and their new house.
A few years ago, Bill and Lesli moved to Northborough from Texas. Bill got a job up here so the family- Bill, Lesli, Jacob and Allyson- moved. They rented a house a few streets over from us.
I will never forget the day I first met Lesli. She had just signed Jacob up for a sports class at The Little Gym. She was playing with Ally who had brought a few dolls. Remy was two at the time and instantly taken with Ally. I loved listening to Lesli's accent. I never tired of hearing stories of their move or laughing at her sense of humor.
Our families became fast friends. Over the years, Bill and Lesli swayed between moving back to Texas or buying a house here. Luckily for us, they choose Northborough in the end.
They moved on a freezing Saturday in January. Jay went to help and said the front yard had at least five pick up trucks and a bunch of friends loading them. In the few short years Lesli and Bill have lived here, they have made a real presence in our community. They are the type of parents involved in soccer, basketball, boy scouts, girl scouts- you name it. They are the type of friends you can call in an emergency, for a reality check or a cocktail.
It was so nice this weekend to see them settled into their new house and to know that they have officially decided to stay.

GO:
If you are lucky, you have one...a friend who you can tell anything to, who makes you laugh, who knew you "when"...the first boyfriend, the first kiss, breakouts, college, marriage, children and all the big moments. Mine is Jennifer Anne Reilly Catrambone. At least that is what she goes by on facebook, and that is only one of the reasons that I love her.
I met Jenn in high school sometime but even then I felt like I knew her forever. At the time we went through a full year of high school study trying to hide out from boys. There were three boys who would "talk to us" in study. They would ask mundane questions like "Do you ever wear the same outfits twice?" then they would pop each others back zits. Seriously. Its too disgusting to even write but it happened. We would run to the library first thing each morning desperate for the few passes they handed out each period. We hoped for a respite from these boys but also for a small amount of time that we could talk to each other.
We got confirmed with Joey McIntrye (NKOTB) when he was popular. Jenn was on crutches and ditched them to chase after them. Maybe even in the hopes that Joey would find that more attractive..but she may not admit to that!
Junior year we "scored" boyfriends that were best friends. Looking back, it was probably the sole reason we even stayed with these guys. We spent countless hours on dates, talking about "our" futures and planning outfits to wear. She was there for me when I broke up with this "all too perfect" (not really at all) boy.
We hung out every summer throughout college. When I took a year off, Jenn was around to get me through. We worked jobs at the same Racquet and Swim Club. We took up Racquetball and were in tournaments together.
We moved to Florida together one summer. She made me listen to Neil Diamond the whole ride down. "Forever in Blue Jeans" will never be the same.
She was at my wedding. She knew me before and after all my children. She could always make me laugh and I could always cry to her. I really couldn't ask for a better girl friend to spend so many years with.
She helps me know myself. She enjoys Jay for who he is and how great he is to me. She appreciates my family. She knows who I "have been" and helps me realize who I really want to be now.
In a few short weeks, she will leave Massachusetts and move to South Carolina. I will miss her tremendously. I will think about her all the time.
This Sunday, we spent time with her and her boys (her husband, Dan, is already gone for their military move). I loved watching her interact with her children, Dylan and Logan, and seeing what a fabulous Mom she is. I loved remembering all her jokes and knowing how sweet she is. I am so sad that I will not get to see her on a regular basis these next three years (at least). She is truly a great part of my past, present and future.
Having a friend like that is so wonderful...hanging on to her this long is indescribable. Having her leave is very sad. I hope to see her one more time before she leaves in two weeks but hugging her goodbye yesterday was devastating. Throughout life, you will meet a few truly good (great) people. In my experience they don't come around all that often, but when they do, I try to hold on to them forever. Jenn is one of those people. Because of that, everyday until she leaves will be a little bit harder. I am sad but also extremely grateful to have her in my life.

So my weekend was filled with a "stay" and a "go" with my friends. In both cases, I am glad to know these people and to know that they will always "stay" in my life, regardless of location.

Pictured: Jay, Jack and Remy at the new house.
The Catrambone and Herold children playing yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend like that: Her name is Molly Ann McMahon Conti. :) And if she ever leaves me, I'll die a thousand deaths. (not to be dramatic or anything) :) She's

    ReplyDelete