Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Red Folder

Picture of Johnny Appleseed from Remy's Science Journal
Right before I had Jack's parent/teacher conference on Tuesday, I was scheduled for Remy's first parent/teacher conference at Peaslee.

There were two chairs outside her room that you could sit in while waiting for your conference to begin.  Beside the chair, there was a red folder. 

Inside the red folder, there were instructions to find the sheet of paper with your childs picture.  Then you should write a note about how much you love them.  It said to include a few things that made you proud and to add decorations if you wished.  There were all types of markers and crayons to decorate the note. 

So, sitting on that little red chair, I sorted through the folder to find Remy's paper.  Her picture was darling.  She had a great big smile and looked to be sorting out some type of science or math project. 

I started to tear up. 

I looked around and noticed that Mrs. L also had a computer slide show going of the students in her class.  Then I saw the family tree that Remy made with her arm which included beautifully drawn pictures of us.  It was all that I could do not to break into hysterics. 

But...I couldn't have her without a note so here is what I wrote (as best I can remember):

Dear Remy,
I love you so much. 
I am so proud that you work so hard on your work, you are such a good friend and that you draw such wonderful pictures. 
Thank you for being the BEST little girl that a Mommy could ask for.
xoxo
Mommy

Then I drew her favorites- a peace sign, an "I love you" and lots of hearts. 

I could have wrote a million more things that I love about her and reasons that I am proud....seeing as she cant read yet and someone else will have to read it to her, its probably best that I kept it short.

Short and sweet, just like my baby.

I love that Mrs L had so many wonderful things to say about Remy.  That she knew her strengths and weaknesses so well comforts me.  That Mrs L thinks of sweet things- like the red folder and the slide show- to include parents is wonderful.

I especially love to picture my little Remy, sitting at circle time, and listening to the book Mrs L (will) put together of all the parents responses.  Even though I am not there that day, she will be reminded that I love her and that I am proud of her. 

I think everyone deserves to be reminded of that often... red folder or not. 

I couldn't be happier with Remy's transition to kindergarten, her work or with her teacher!
Patterns by Remy...Mrs L says she is also good at Math...Must research math tutors ASAP.

1 comment:

  1. She is doing so well! Sounds like she has a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete