The BEST part of Jack being in second grade is, by far, the latest homework assigned by his teacher. Every week, Jack has to write in his notebook/journal and bring it home on Friday. He can write whatever he wants as long as he adds a new word that he is working on learning at the end.
The parent homework comes next. The parent(s) must read what he wrote and respond. Again, the only rule is that the parents review "the word" and initials that the child used this word during a conversation. Besides that, you can write about whatever you want.
The child will then take the notebook to school on Monday. That is when he/she will have the opportunity to read what the parent wrote.
We are only on week two but I am LOVING it.
Jack would like Jay to write back to him this weekend and honestly, I don't think I can take being kicked off of duty! Its such a wonderful routine. I am so happy for the opportunity. Here is what I would write this week...if it wasn't Daddys turn, of course:
Dear Jack,
Thank you for being such a wonderful son. You make me laugh so often. I love the way the that you look at the world....how most everything can be related to sports or numbers and how you are so sweet.
When I went to your parent/teacher conference yesterday, I loved all the things that Mrs M had to say about you.
I was so proud of the book that you wrote and read to the class. It was brilliant. I love that the children asked to keep it in their library to read over and over.
As I sat waiting for the conference, I noticed a poster all on its own. I read in detail the steps on how to play football. I thought it was so cute and informative. I was hardly surprised when Mrs M told me that you made that poster and that you thought of the subject and "how to" theme all by yourself. She read all the steps out loud to me and laughed and nodded along the way. She too thought it was very detailed and creative.
During the conference, Mrs M showed me one of the math skills tests. There were 100 problems on the page, you completed 42. She explained that it was a timed test that you had one minute to complete. You solved 41 problems correctly. I could not believe that! Math is certainly not my strongest subject (thats an understatement)...there is no way I could have done that well. I am amazed that your mind works this way.
I also got to see some of your writing. I noticed how all the subjects that you wrote about included a sport and a score of some kind. That made me smile.
Mrs M confirmed that in school you are just as I see you at home...a respectful, funny, creative boy who loves sports. She said that you are always nice to your classmates and teachers. I am so happy about that!
As you know, I got you the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book for a treat because of your good report. When your face lit up upon seeing the book, I felt happy too. Seeing your sweet little face peak out from the open book all night was wonderful. I love that you are on page 119 already.
Keep up the good work buddy. I love you so much.
xoxo
Mom

So sweet! You are such a proud mama and it shows. I love your letter to him. Beautiful! Jack is one of the best little boys I know... a complete reflection of his parents :) Love you guys
ReplyDelete