Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Its a Holiday

No, not the tooth fairy but Auntie Karen celebrating her birthday.
This weekend wasn't the most relaxing of my life but it did remind me of all the things that I am thankful for.

On Saturday, we had services for Auntie Carole.  It was one of the most emotional services that I had ever been to.  Each person who spoke, my Uncle Don, my cousin Jim and brother Dana, had a wonderful way of expressing all the qualities that we all loved about Carole.

After the services, we headed over to my Moms house for some family, food and good stories. 

Karen, Brian and Molly were in town for the weekend so we got to hang out.  On Sunday, we went back over to my Moms to watch some football and eat.

Sunday night, Karen came over and as usual we had fun talking about the old times and laughing until it hurt.  Maybe we had too much fun, because "someone" forgot to do his/her job as tooth fairy that night.

(Lets not forget about the $20 tooth fairy incident earlier this year.)

In the morning, Jack woke up, sad as came be that the tooth fairy did not come.  In my early morning haze, I struggled to think of the reason why she would not have showed up.

me-"Jack, do you remember what today is?"
Jack-"Yes, Christopher Columbus Day."
me-"Exactly.  She couldn't come today, its a holiday."
Jack- "oh yeah.  She must be coming tomorrow morning!  Ha."
Jay (to the side)- "And that's why you get paid the big bucks Jess."

Exactly, that's why I get paid the big bucks.  Or at least the big rewards.  This weekend was stressful.  And sad.  And difficult.  But it also reminded me once again that I am blessed; to have known Carole, to have such a wonderful extended family, to have birthdays to celebrate and to have the opportunity to be home with my babies- even if I am not actually making the big bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment