Friday, January 29, 2010

The Report Card, Friendlys and the Tooth Fairy- Things You Ought to Know.....



Over the years, I have learned a few things about motherhood but I am still learning. Here are a few things I learned or learned again this week:

1. I practically cry each time Jack brings home a report card.

You really cant imagine how proud you will be until your first child brings home his/her report card. Its an amazing feeling to read through it and know that someone sees all the wonderful things that you also do in your child. Jack brought home his card this week and I was beside myself with joy. Which brings me to the next point...

2. Comments on the report card really are the best part.
Growing up, my parents use to always say "I am more concerned with what the comments said." That usually worked in my favor. Of course, I use to think that was a way of making me feel better when I came home with a C in Math but "Gives best effort" as a comment.
Here are a few comments from Jacks most recent card:
"Jack is a confident and energetic learner. He approaches new tasks with enthusiasm. Jack is hard worker who takes pride in all that he does." (Smile)

"Jack is enthusiastic about math activities and games. He is confident in his abilities and solves problems easily. Jack has mastered the mathematical skills taught thus far in first grade."
(Oh no, remember I did poorly in math? We need Auntie Molly and Uncle Bri already!)

and our favorite from music class:
"Jack enters the room eager to participate and learn. He sings accurately most of the time and is developing a beat competency when using instruments." (Poor guy- music isnt his thing. But the comments are def worth a laugh)

3. Its a wonderful idea to reward your child for trying hard. Just maybe limit the options for the reward.
So Jack brings home this report card, which was great. We say "We will take you ANYWHERE you want to celebrate." He, of course, picks Friendlys.
Do you know how many times I have gone to Friendlys in the past seven years? TOO MANY.
Which is why, moving forward, my new policy is NO MORE FRIENDLYS. I will say "You did such an amazing job Jack (Remy, Nate). Where would like like to go the 99 or Piccadilly Pub (or like restaurant)?"
I will make sure that burgers and kid friendly choices are offered- but the option for a cocktail would be good too. Hey, dont I get to celebrate too?
We went to Friendlys yesterday for the celebration. There were no less than 5 waitresses there fighting over the less than 12 tables in the place. Still two and a half hours later we left...feeling like we caught the Friendlys flu and dropping $50 for it.

4. Those tooth fairy pillows are real cute- but a real pain.
Your child is about to lose or has lost his first tooth. What do you do? Buy one of those adorable little tooth pillows with a nice little pocket for the tooth to go- then be exchanged for money.
Jack lost his tooth after the trip to Friendlys which meant he dropped it in the pillow and put it under his own pillow in bed.

5. Its so fun when you first "become" Santa/the Easter Bunny/The Tooth Fairy but it gets old quick.
The first time Jack lost his tooth we were giddy with excitement. When should we put the money under the pillow? How much should we give? Ohh so funnnnn!
The second time, we forgot and Jack came into our bedroom first thing in the morning in a panic. "I MUST HAVE BEEN SOOOO BAD. The tooth fairy did not come." Lots of tears! Of course that could not have been (it was)....Jay quickly grabbed money off his nightstand and ran to Jacks room to make sure that Jack hadn't missed something...while I comforted Jack of course (made sure he didn't try to "help"). Magically it was there! Jack went in to check the amount...a $20 bill! Jack was so excited- it was the only thing on Jays nightstand of course. Now I am the Mom at school everyone talks about "Jack Herolds parents gave him $20 as a tooth fairy- ridiculous."
The third time, we had the pillow. Do you know how hard it is to find that damn tooth in there, get it out, then insert the money back in, all without turning on the lights or waking him? VERY HARD.

6. You will never sleep the way you did pre-kids.
Last night was another tooth fairy night, because like I said, Jack lost his tooth after our trip to Friendlys.
What happened? I am sleeping (doozing really bc that is about as good as it gets) and I hear Jay whisper "We forgot to do our tooth fairy job." Its about 2 in the morning at this point. I have no cash, Jay has no cash. He proceeds to dump his whole change cup in the bed and look for quarters. Finally we find some and he goes in to do the job. Ten minutes later- we can thank the tooth pillow for that- he returns. Turn out the lights, bed.

7. Being a Mom is even better than I ever imagined and gets better everyday.
I am very lucky to have three wonderful children and a husband to share the laughs with. I always knew I wanted to be a Mom but this is amazing!

So...reading your childs report card is much better than getting your own, going to Friendlys is not that bad when you see how happy your child is (but better at a place with cocktails), the tooth fairy job is kind of fun (minus the difficult pillow) and waking up to my three kids is the best!

Pictured:
The Gang at Friendlys
Jack with Report Card (on Crazy Hair Day)

2 comments:

  1. "He sings accurately most of the time..." Sounds like he is a PERFECT addition to the Tinga Tinga Karaoke crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE the tooth pillow thing. I'll take that to heart when we get there- that is, if Marin ever gets any teeth to lose! Yikes!

    On my report card I always got the same thing: "Joy to have in class. Excessive talking." HA! My boss would probably say the same about me at work! :)

    ReplyDelete