Monday, January 25, 2010

Look back to MLK Weekend/2003


I tend to be someone who focuses on the present and the future- just another gift from being a mother. January is a month however, where I look to years past.

Seven years ago this January, Jays Mom passed away. Pat was an amazing woman who lost her life much too soon to brain cancer. I think of her most everyday. I know how lucky I am to have had the chance to meet and know her. I think often about what a terrific job she did raising Jay and how that legacy lives on.

A few weeks after she passed, it was Jays birthday. I struggled to find something to do for him that would take his mind off his loss- if only for a moment. It had been such a difficult few months- we were new parents to Jack and Jay had slowly lost his best friend.

At the time, Brian, Molly and Dana were all living in Chicago. I decided to book a "surprise" trip for him on Martin Luther King Day/Weekend to celebrate his birthday. My cousin, Karen, and her husband, Mike, also made the trip from New York City where they were living at the time.

Knowing that there wasn't much I could do for Jay except to try to make the best of a really awful situation, I hoped that being around people he loved and felt comfortable with would help. Luckily, I was right.

I remember the first night going out to dinner with everyone. Mike, who had recently "won" his own cancer battle, gave us so much insight. Karen also had a lot of insight from her own perspective and spoke with kind words. Brian, Molly and Dana saw to it that the weekend was mixed with all the right things. Including sleeping (which we hadn't done much between Jack and Jay traveling to Cincinnati), eating and drinking- usually in that exact order.

Jay and I talk about that weekend a lot and agree that it was one of our best. There isn't much that you can do after you lose someone you care about so much- but we all tried. I have discovered that there truly is nothing better than being with the people you love most during good and bad times. I am so grateful to have shared weddings, births, birthdays and everyday life with such an amazing group.

Happy belated MLK day!

Pictured from left Carrot Top, Brittney, J-Lo, Reese and Ryan
not pictured Justin and Ben

2 comments:

  1. Great pic. What a great family you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of our favorite memories of time spent with the Herold/Conti clan. My favorite memories of that weekend are the neverending walk to dinner in sub-freezing temps that BBB said was only a couple blocks away and Steve Scott's wife (fiance at the time) thinking we were completely bonkers for getting dressed up (and being blotto).

    ReplyDelete