Sunday, April 10, 2011

Ride On

Remy has been asking me for years...yes years...to learn to ride without training wheels.  After the pain and suffering I experienced teaching Jack, I had been putting it off.  A long time.  Too long.

Yesterday was a beautiful day and we were outside bright and early.  Uncle Dana and Elliott came to hang out with us while Jay fixed the roof. The home projects continue.

Remy once again begged me to teach her to ride without training wheels.  I told her that when Nate when in to nap, I would help her.  I braced myself for the pain that I was about to endure. While we waited for Nate to nap, we played hockey, rode scooters and had lots of snacks. 

When nap time finally came, I put Nate down and got on my most comfy of sneakers.  I got all prepared for the hours of balancing the bike and running beside it.  Gave myself a little pep talk and headed down to begin the work of teaching.

Remy was all too ready.  She had a smile from ear to ear.  I tried to suggest that we lift the wheels slightly at first.  She went one pass this way.  She wanted the training wheels off...not up.

With the help and assistance of Remy and Elliott, I took the wheels off.

I stood the bike up.  Remy got on.  I started running beside the bike.  Then quickly let go.  She was off.

The next few runs, I only held the bike to help her get on and gave a small push.  She was riding up and down the driveway on her own.  I took her over to the school (behind our house) and let her ride and ride around.  She was so happy.  She wanted to know if she was doing alright. 

Alright?  I wanted to say?  Why didn't I "teach" you sooner.  And why did I bother to even change my shoes?

We are so happy and proud of Remy.  Jay gave his support from the roof.  Uncle Dana, Elliott and Jack gave lots of cheers. 

Maybe I should work on Nate next?

Washing his wheels

1 comment: