My first bike with training wheels was orange. I loved it. When I was done using it, my parents passed it down to Brian who is three years younger than I. He rode it for about two years then it got passed down to Dana. At this point the bike would have been about five years old.
My Dad did a little upgrading on the bike for Dana. Because it was a "girls" bike, it didnt have a bar across the top. My Dad used his wood working skills to make a bar. Of course it wouldnt look right to have a wood bar on a bike so then he got BMX type covers for it and the front handle bar. Dana also got his own custom license plate for it. Dad pimped his ride basically.
The bike looked decent. Problem was, I think Dana was always too tall for the bike. We frequently did family bike trips. Poor Dana would have to move his legs a million times for every two times we did. It was hysterical to watch.
Over the years we have laughed about it a lot. At the hand-me-down bike, how my Dad spent the time to fix it up and how it was too small for Dana.
Guess what? Life repeats itself.
I realized the other day that instead of that story being just about Dana...it was also now about Remy.
Jack got a Hot Wheels training bike when he was young. It is green with blue and silver flames. He rode it for a few years and got an upgrade. Then we passed the bike to Remy.
To fix it up, we got her the girly-est basket you have ever set eyes on and a helmet that is purple and pink smiley flowers...very girly. She rode that bike for two years. For the past few weeks, I have watched her ride around the block and try to keep up with Jack. Her little legs moved just like Danas did so many years ago.
It was time for a new bike for sure. This past weekend we got one. She LOVES it. Yes, it is purple and pink. No, I will not make Nate ride that one. Yes, Nate will ride that green and blue Hot Wheels bike. It may need some pimping because it will be seven years old by then.
More and more often lately I am reminded just how ironic life can be. And how nice it can be to look at my own children and be reminded of my siblings and childhood.
sweet new ride, Remy!
ReplyDelete