For the past few years on Mothers Day weekend, I would go to the J. Crew outlet on Saturday. Jay would watch Jack and Remy and prepare for Mothers Day on Sunday. He would give me a certificate which I would spend to the dollar- 1. because as a stay at home Mom, I dont feel like spending the money we do have on clothes that I just wear around the house and 2- because usually if I do decide its time for new clothes, I have to take the kids with me to look for them.
The first year I did this, I think Remy was about one. It was so fun to get out and have a little time to myself. I bought a few things then came home and enjoyed a nice afternoon with Jay and the kids. The years after got less and less fun. Last year, I didnt do it at all because I was pregnant with Nate and who wants to buy clothes then? This year, I boycotted altogether (for the weekend at least).
I spent Saturday morning running a road race with Jay. It was pouring down rain and thundering. I thought for sure when we woke to that, Jay would say that we would just stay home. But he had been training and he was DETERMINED to run. I thought about backing out but then I decided that I would beat myself up later for it. My parents came over to watch Jack, Remy and Nate. Jay and I headed over to the race. It should be noted that there were about 25 people who showed up- all professional looking runners. I did the race for love that day. Jay did it for time. (It was a 4 mile race and he ran in 36 minutes. Go Jay!)
Saturday afternoon was suppose to be booked with a baseball game for Jack- but with the bad weather it was cancelled. I suppose I could have gone shopping then but I valued the time with the family and a "do nothing" day.
Sunday morning I got breakfast in bed. Lots of hugs and the cutest cards from Jack and Remy.
Remy drew a picture of me looking very stylish and wrote:
"My Mom likes to run around the block."
Big points for making me look so good and acting as though I am so active to her preschool teachers and friends.
Jack made a book at school that said:
My Mom is funny when she does jokes. (with a picture of me saying "Knock" to him)
and
The best thing about my Mom is she helps me. (with a picture of me saying "Good Job")
I think its important to note that he thinks of me as a funny, motivating type of girl :)
In the afternoon, Remy came to nap with me. At age 5, she rarely naps. Having that time to snuggle with her is invaluable. That in itself made my Mothers Day.
Late afternoon, my Mom, Dad and Aunt Carole came over. Jay took care of the meal and the dishes.
Late afternoon, my Mom, Dad and Aunt Carole came over. Jay took care of the meal and the dishes.
I finished off the night kissing all three babies to bed then hanging out with Jay.
So when did I go shopping? This morning after I got Jack on the bus, I loaded up Nate and Remy. We hit J.Crew. I pulled things off the self like a mad woman. Made a quick trip to the dressing room. Left with what actually fit and paid.
Was it the easiest thing to take Nate and Remy? NO. But I did get valuable feedback while trying on things: "That looks kind of good. It looks like one of those dresses ladies clean houses in." Remy told me of one dress. Note- I did NOT buy that one.
I also got a weekend filled with my family. I have done Mothers Day all types of ways in my life. At first as a child with my Nana and Mom, then as a first time Mom with my Mom (and new grandmother), with my Nana, Mom and sister-in-law. Even alone with just my family. I have to say, each year has been great its own way.
This year I got to celebrate all the best parts of being a Mom. This weekend I was lucky to have:
-a wonderful husband and three healthy children
-a husband that I love enough to run a rain/thunder/lightening road race with
-a husband who will cook, clean and take care of everything for (at least) an entire weekend
-a son (jack) who loves sports, is able to play them and talk about them intelligently (even if most days it feels like thats all he talks about)
-a son (jack) who thinks I am funny and helpful
-a daughter that will take a nap with me, help me shop and be a little mini-best friend
-a baby (nate) who will snuggle with me and smile like nobodies business
-a mom who will watch and love my children
-a mom who is alive
-a sister-in-law (Maris) who thinks I am a good Mom and called me to compliment me on that
-and as of today, a bunch of new clothes from J. Crew
I am truly blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment