
When I was in college, I remember sitting around with my friends and discussing random thoughts. Most times we had had at least a few drinks. Everything sounded very important and debate worthy.
These days, when I am with my friends, we only get to discuss the most important things. There is no time for anything else. Most times there are children interrupting, things to be done (like those children need to eat) or we have been with children all day so we are too tired to discuss anything at all.
This is tough for me. I miss the days from college when I had time to talk about ridiculous thought with my friends. Jay says that he can see my brain working sometimes. He calls it the "gears in my head turning". He is right, I am always thinking. A lot of times, its not even important stuff.
Here are a few recent thoughts:
-Remember the song "My mother, your Mother live across the street. 18, 19 Maple (or whatever) Street." If you were to sing that song about my house
1- it would be cool because I live at 19 Juniper Brook Rd
2-but Juniper Brook Rd is a pretty long name for the song
3-and it wouldn't be true on my street bc although I live at 19 Juniper....the person who lives at 18 Juniper is half way around the block. Our street numbers are all out of order. So, it would be:
My Mother, your Mother live across the street. 19, 32 Juniper Brook Road.
Doesn't roll off the tongue.
-Nate has a toy that supposedly gives weather and traffic updates like the radio. The traffic update reports "Its bumper to bumper on the rainbow bridge." Whose job is it to think that stuff up and better yet who approved that saying? It makes no sense. Its also kind of weird.
-The song "What do you want from me?"(is that even the real name?) by Adam Lambert is incredibly catchy. It made for a night full of fun when I repeated it over and over to my friends a few weeks ago. I sang it complete with arm motions. Fun times. By the end of the night, we were all wanting to apply black eyeliner. Catchy.
-The same night, my friend had invited us over for dinner on the grill. The kids were well behaved and the adults had nice conversation. Half way through the night, she unapologetically proclaimed that she was too relaxed and had too many drinks to deal with the grill so we would just have to deal with the sides and snacks that we had. I loved this. Its given me a new outlook on life. Really. I think about this a lot lately.
-I REALLY want to win the HGTV Green Home in Plymouth, MA. I went to a wedding at the Pinehills. It was beautiful. One of the best weddings I have been to. Honestly. I have good memories of the place. Also, I try to live pretty green. I would love to own a house that made me automatically green. Not to mention that we could live there all summer and have Jay commute into Boston. A true summer house- FOR FREE! I need it. I enter daily. I debate my craziness.
-I miss Joey a lot. Tonight at soccer practice I was glad I didn't have a dog for now. There are plenty of people who will judge you as a parent. Doesn't stop at children, folks. After a dog snapped at another dog today, one owner asked the other owner if she "ever took her dog to training for leash envy." She went on to explain that "Dogs do things they normally wouldn't do when they are on a leash." Its stressed me out to even watch this exchange. Please note this woman (the one recommending training) has 6 kids plus a new dog. Which brings me to the next thought...
-This woman (with 6 kids) has a husband who is always happy. At least he always has a smile on his face. My friend and I have debated...Why???? Could it be that he actually has it easier than most? For example, he is always dropping off at preschool and still home at 5pm. At work do they say "That poor guy. He has 6 kids. He is always running around for them" so in essence, he actually has it easier. Probably not but that would be ironic.
-I had a great time in Chicago. Everyone I tell that to says a similiar thing "Dont they have a lot of crime there?". I wont even get into the statistics or whatever- thats not my thing. But every time someone says that I think about when I was there. Literally every single person we ran into there was nice. It was crazy.
At one point Jay and I went to a grocery store. At the check out a woman let me use her Domicks (the store) card bc I didnt have one. I thanked her. She replied by saying "You're welcome. I try to be nice to everyone. (I'm with her here. Midwest. So nice.) I dont care if you killed someone, stabbed someone, hate your Mom or whatever. I am going to be nice to you. (ummm?)" I was glad to use her card for the discount. But that was weird. I think about that and wonder- why would she automatically jump to "I dont care if you killed someone.". Seems drastic. Still, I HEART Chicago.
- Jay and I miss random things about college.
Jay thought it was great when my friend announced that she would not be using the grill. He said it was something we would do back in college. Which is true.
I miss discussing these random thoughts. And having lots of time to do so.
College was a crazy time. Now is an amazing time that I wouldn't trade for the world. Even though I couldn't discuss these things in person, or over at least a few drinks with you, what do you think????
Pictured: The HGTV house
I've always wanted the HGTV house too. I never apply for contests, except this one...every year.
ReplyDeleteLove the "what do you want from me!" move. Great idea.
Maybe the guy with 6 kids is secretly wealthy and works a fake job. Just sayin.
I love your blog!!! You are a great mother/wife/friend!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you just need to have three more kids to learn the secret to constant happiness... try it and let me know how it works out for you! I'll wait to determine how many kids I should have based on your results.
ReplyDelete1. I'm obsessed with all things HGTV, natch that includes the Green Home Giveaway. If you win, I'm SO there.
ReplyDelete2."It's bumper to bumper on the rainbow bridge" is completely ridiculous. I want that job.
3. Love the story about your friend who decided to bag the grill. Apps are the best part anyway!
4. The happy guy is interesting... Six kids plus dog. Yikes. Maybe he and his wife are "trying for number seven" and that keeps him smiling all the time. ;)