Thursday, August 19, 2010
The Double Wide
You can not imagine the amount of comments I receive daily regarding Nate's legs/feet/ankles.
At the store I have been stopped:
"My son had kankles just like that."
(for those of you not familiar with kankles- its not a typo- its when your ankles are the same size as your knees. No indentation.)
On a run recently, a neighbor who is a photographer stopped me:
"OH MY GOSH. Can I photograph those legs and feet someday?"
A woman walking around the block the other day stopped and said:
"Those feet are definitely XX wide. You need a special shoe store for him. I know because I had to take my son to one."
(Mind you, she also made jokes about them being called XX wide.*)
Last week at the Cape, Mike made endless comments about the size of Nates feet. He even suggested I start a business to outfit feet of his size.
So, it should have come to NO surprise to me that Nate would be in a wide shoe. The boy literally outgrows his shoes every two weeks. Just when I think I outsmarted those fatties, I am once again on a mission to find a pair that fits him.
This week, I took him to the shoe store that the neighbor recommended and had him measured.
"5 1/2 Double Wide" The employee said to me.
It took me a minute to process. I mean, I figured the wide part...but double wide? Good lord.
I started to look for a pair that would actually fit him. I've been shoe shopping for kids for awhile at this point...I know the drill. I find something that is cute, in season and budget and make sure it fits nicely. I do that for Jack and Remy a few times a year.
Let me tell you...that is NOT how you shop for the double wides.
You just find something, anything, that actually comes in that size and is relatively bearable in the cuteness department. In season? Probably not.
I walked out of there with shoes that have some type of suede material on the toe- definitely more fall. All fall colored. Kind of a little cute. But finally finally finally, they fit. I'll probably be back in two weeks, doing the same thing. But, for now, my boys double wides are covered.
*I found out later that they are actually XW rather than XX. For example: 5 1/2 XW. Not sure what type of obscene shoe store she shops at.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think those are lumberjack shoes.
ReplyDeleteholy cow! I am cracking up!!! He will be a skinny minnie like the rest of you in another year :)
ReplyDelete